Re: RARA-AVIS: Getaway last line

From: Paul Miller ( phm@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: 20 Feb 2002

John Armstrong wrote: Was this the one with the bizarre "And then I thrw myself out the window" last line?................................................

Yes, in Hell of a Woman the main character saws his manhood off and jumps out the window when his girlfriend screams. It really was well written until the hurried up tack on wierd ending. In fact Hell of a Woman is usually on the short list for Thompson's best novel among Thompson fans. The short list for Thompson's best among his fans ,which I am one, is usually

The Getaway

Hell of a Woman

pop. 1280

Killer Inside Me

My vote goes for Getaway . Hell of a Woman like I said is good except for the ending. pop.1280 is a likable novel but to me is too much a remake of Killer, I hate to mention that because every proponent of pop.1280 as Thompson's best that I have run across has usually been quite dedicated to that view to put it mildly, Killer is great but for me Getaway edges it out. Golden Gizmo and Alcoholics are good fun reads, well before I list them all I like most of them. : )

Paul Miller