Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: DEREK RAYMOND

From: cooper ( jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 19 Feb 2002

Sorry to be a bit late in following this thread, but the cd of D R reading Dora had musical backing from Gallon Drunk and is very dark and bleak. The other Factory book is A State of Denmark, which sadly has always evaded us, so can't comment. I couldn't finish How The Dead Live, even too bleak for me. Another non Factory book is The Crust On Its Uppers, a semi autobiographical novel of a upper class, louche* young man's adventures with the demi monde* and in the criminal underworld of post war Britain.I read this on a lovely holiday in Springtime Brittany, but it made me want a big gin and 20 Players in a seedy club in Soho. Jane

 (*Hey I got 2 of my favourite words in one sentence, now how can i fit in defenestrate...)