Re: RARA-AVIS: dissing vachss

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2002

--- Graham Powell < bleekerbooks@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken the message is THE ENTIRE reason
> he started writing in
> the first place. According to what he's said, he's
> basically using the
> Burke books as propaganda; they're only useful to
> him if they succeed on
> that level, regardless of their literary merits.

Well, they're not working in my case. I enjoyed FLOOD, and certainly received the meta-message, but I didn't find him particularly persuasive. I'm supposed to adopt the world-view of this paranoid loner? Not likely.

On the other hand, I didn't find Vachss particularly preachy, either. The message is certainly there, but I didn't feel like he was dumping it over my head. Is FLOOD one of his less preachy books, or am I just insensitive to this kind of thing?

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/