RARA-AVIS: JOHN O'HARA -- noir

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2002

It's interesting that John O'Hara has been brought up lately--from the message about Lawrence Block, I suppose.

The only books I know of his are APPOINTMENT IN SAMARRA, which is noir, and TEN NORTH FREDERICK, I think that's about an older man who is seeing his daughter's girl friend. Oh, yes, and BUTTERFIELD EIGHT, which has one of mthe most grusome endings for a non-horror book I have ever read--the heorine being ground to death in the paddle wheel of a ferry boat.

Maybe the reason O'Hara is forgotten is that he is noir--but not quite. But he did an excellent job of making the 40s and 50s come alive for me, much as Dickens did with Victorian England.

Jack Bludis

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Signing, B&N, Whitemarsh (MD) 2pm 2/23/02