Re: RARA-AVIS: Bart Spicer

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2002

Bill,

Re your comment on the Carney Wilde series (one of the best '50s-era PI series)

> Erick: I'm a big supporter of Bart Spicer's Carney
> Wilde books. Not exactly
> hardboiled, but (to my taste, at least) well worth
> reading.

Why isn't a series about an ex-cop operating a detective agency in a large American metropolis, telling his stories in the first person, who's handy with his fists, and handy with a gun, and talks the talk of the common, working man (the LITERATE common, working man, but the common working man), whose typical cases involve gangsters, kidnappers, bank robbers, etc., "exactly hadboiled?"

JIM DOHERTY