RARA-AVIS: Mike Avallone's Satan Sleuth

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 13 Feb 2002

This talk of "men's adventure" series' prompts me to ask if anyone has read any of this series by Mike Avallone, author of "alternative classics" (phrase borrowed from Pronzini's "Gun in Cheek"). I ask because I have vol's 1 & 2 in the series (unread). The main character busts evil Satanist & occultist cults, who are obviously a serious menace to us in the West, apparently up there with Communists & the Mafia. Then again, as there are possibly only the 2 or so entries in the series, maybe they weren't really that big a problem after all. Another point of interest is that the publisher issued at least 2 Avallone books - from what I gather this is a good run for Avallone.
 (All of his I've read so far is "The Brutal Kook" & that certainly qualifies as "alternative" - fun though. Marx Bros do PI. I still don't know how much of Avallone's humour is intentional as opinion seems to be divided on that score & it's hard to work out from evidence available to me.)