Re: RARA-AVIS: David Dodge

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 12 Feb 2002

David Dodge was very ecclectic, and as far as I remember rarely pure HB. He's the one who wrote TO CATCH A THIEF (1952) that was the base of Hitchcock's film.

BULLET FOR THE BRIDEGROOM, was published in 1944 and I never came across it. It's a novel with his character Whit Whitney who appeared in 3 other novels as well. He's a kind of tax advisor, and with his wife they form something like the Charles' of Hammett.

There was a series with a PI living in Mexico City. THE LONG ESCAPE is one of them. Another of these novels was adapted for film (Plunder in the Sun- 1953) and it was Latimer who scripted it!

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384