RARA-AVIS: Spillane & Browne

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 11 Feb 2002

> Thanks, Doug, for the comments on the Spillane book. I heard Browne
tell
> about the story in Fantastic when he was at the Bouchercon in
Monterey.
> As I recall (and we all know how reliable _that_ is), he implied that
> he did it without any input from Spillane at all.
>
> Bill Crider
> --
I don't recall where I saw the anecdote, it may've been here even but according to Browne he'd asked Spillane's manager if Spillane would write a fantasy story for a rather piddling fee by the Mick's usual standards. The agent replied that Spillane didn' work for that kind of cabbage but he did say he had a real stinker of a story that everyone in creation had rejected. When Browne read it, he found it unpublishable & somehow wrangled the agent into letting him completely rewrite the story from scratch while advertising it as a Spillane story. Apparently, sales for that issue of Fantastic went through the roof.

Rene