RARA-AVIS: Five Star/Spillane

From: dgreene@odu.edu
Date: 11 Feb 2002

Yes, the Five Star Mickey Spillane book was published last December: Here're my notes on it:

Mickey Spiullane. Together We Kill, The Uncollected Stories of Mickey
   Spillane, ed. Max Allan Collins. Waterville, ME: Five Star, 2001.
   1st edition. A very mixed collection. The title story from Cavalier,
   1953 is wartime espionage; "The Night I Died" is a prose version by Max
   Allan Collins of a Mike Hammer radio script from the 1950's; "I'll Die
   Tomorrow" (Cavalier, 1960) is a hitman story; "The Affair of the Dragon
   Lady" and 2 autobiographical reminiscences are non-criminous; "Hot Cat"
   is the only story from the UK paperbacks of the 1960's not to be
   previously collected in a US Spillane collection. The most
   controversial story is the science fictional crime tale, "The Veiled
   Woman" (Fantastic, 1952), which Max Allan Collins says was written by
   the editor of Fantastic, Howard Browne, from a Spillane outline but
   which Browne himself (in the introduction to Incredible Ink) gives a
   circumstantial case that it was entirely ghostwritten without any
   Spillane input. It reads like a pastiche, even a parody, of Spillane's
   excesses.

I have a list of all the Five Star short story collections published
   through December, and would be glad to post it if anyone's interested.

Doug

Douglas G. Greene Professor of History Old Dominion University Norfolk, VA 23529-0091 Phone 757 683-3949