RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Philadelphia

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@home.com)
Date: 09 Feb 2002

More books for the list, which I'll be too poor to buy because I'm not getting my work out. How comes I lived in Port Richmond for 20 years and never heard of this guy? I read just about everything classified mystery in the PR library when I was broke and not that.
    Maybe it's another case of library policy. My novel-writing teacher denounced Swiftian adverbs, and sent me to the library for a Tom Swift when I asked for a definition. The librarian told me the library didn't buy series novels for children because they were low quality, and that if I gave them Nancy Drews, the library wouldn't accept them.
    So where'd you live, Duane? Bridesburg? Kensington? Fishtown? And where'd you go in the meantime?

Joy, who's also back where she started, more or less

> Don't forget David Goodis, who set most of his gritty HB novels in the
streets of 1950s and 1960s Philadelphia. I believe he lived with his parents in the Port Richmond section, just one neighborhood away from where I grew up.

> Also, Colin Harrison's BREAK AND ENTER, while largely a legal thriller,
has its HB moments, and is set in downtown Philly.

> Someone mentioned Steve Lopez, and his two novels. He has a third due out
this May called IN THE CLEAR, but I'm not sure if it's based in Philly or not. (Lopez is now a columnist for the L.A. Times; he used to write an excellent column for the Philly Inquirer back in the day.)