Re: RARA-AVIS: philadelphia

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@home.com)
Date: 09 Feb 2002

There was a tiny, rather squalid Acme at 19th & Spruce (?) and a Penn Fruit at 21st & Market (? long gone) in those days, neither with any parking; people in Greater Center City east of Broad with cars took the bridge to Camden until the A&P went up at 5th & Pine. There were plenty of department stores downtown, but they didn't sell tires, paint, wrenches. People in the Great Northeast (aka Roosevelt Blvd and beyond) didn't consider themselves part of the city except when it suited them, and the rest of the city reciprocated.
    I saw the Sears imploded on TV, but I don't think I was ever in it.
    Is that Camden Sears still sitting there vacant, staring?

Joy, boring the vast majority of the list

> (Camden--there's a place that's
> > really gritty: poorest city in the country, the residents try to burn it
> > down every Halloween, gateway to the Garden State; it used to have the
> > closest supermarket and Sears for people in Philly, but the stores were
> shut
> > down, still empty 20 years later the last I looked.)
>
> Joy,
> You're talking about for people who live along the Delaware around 4th
St,