RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Philadelphia

From: Duane Swierczynski ( duane.swier@verizon.net)
Date: 08 Feb 2002

Don't forget David Goodis, who set most of his gritty HB novels in the streets of 1950s and 1960s Philadelphia. I believe he lived with his parents in the Port Richmond section, just one neighborhood away from where I grew up.

Also, Colin Harrison's BREAK AND ENTER, while largely a legal thriller, has its HB moments, and is set in downtown Philly.

Someone mentioned Steve Lopez, and his two novels. He has a third due out this May called IN THE CLEAR, but I'm not sure if it's based in Philly or not. (Lopez is now a columnist for the L.A. Times; he used to write an excellent column for the Philly Inquirer back in the day.)

--Duane Swierczynski, Philly native and recent returnee