Re: RARA-AVIS: Chavarria

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 08 Feb 2002

In a message dated 2/8/2002 12:31:02 PM Mountain Standard Time, Msedano@aol.com writes:

"I note, however, a pattern - from Habana Bay through Outcast through Adios Muchachos- of featuring prostitutes or at least giving them prominent play in the local color. Are visiting writers enchanted with the concept of la jinetera, or is this technique something not to be missed when visiting Havana?"

Michael Sedano: I don't know about missing out on this technique when visiting Havana. I can only get in trouble answering that, I think. However, I asked Jose Latour a similar question last month (actually it was something like "was the use of prostitutes in crime fiction set in Cuba just a coincidence"). Here's his answer in case you didn't see it.

"No, Manuel, it's not a coincidence that prostitutes appear in recent Cuban crime literature. It's a phenomenon that was prevalent before the revolution, almost disappeared in the 60's, was very underground in the 70's and 80's, then resurfaced in the 90's. Some writers refuse to touch it with a ten-foot pole, fearing the wrath of the ideologues. But others run the risk. It seems to me it's been fostered by economic factors."

Manuel Ramos