RARA-AVIS: Introduction - New to the Group

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2002

I am new to the list and, having lurked my way through a good portion of the archives, want to introduce myself and ask a question or two.

I am 23 and have been reading HB fiction since high school (admittedly much of it went over my head at 14 and probably some still does now). I have made somewhat of an effort to read the classics, but the newer stuff is more to my liking. For the last couple of years, my favorites have been George Pelecanos, Dennis Lehane, Michael Connelly, the Scudder series, James Ellroy and 70s era Elmore Leonard. I also have a soft spot for the Spenser series since it led to my discovery of everything since.

Through this forum I've learned that these names just scratch the surface of what's out there. You all are the experts, so I'd like to selfishly ask for other suggestions (last month I checked out a number of the recommendations that Pelecanos put on the list and have been plowing my way through them). I am also interested in learning about books with a setting other than the US or the UK.

Finally, I'd like to throw out that two of my favorites from last year where by new writers: HOLLOWPOINT by Rob Reuland and THE 25TH HOUR by David Benioff. I don't think I saw these mentioned in the archives, but if any one had thoughts on these, it would be interesting to hear them.

I hope that this doesn't rehash too much that's already been run into the ground for the veterans of the list. Thanks in advance.

Chris