RARA-AVIS: [not so....] New Hammett collection

From: Bill Bowers ( BBowers@one.net)
Date: 06 Feb 2002

Bill Denton wrote:

>Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:59:12 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: RARA-AVIS: New Hammett collection

>Has anyone bought this new Hammett collection from the Library of America?
>CRIME STORIES AND OTHER WRITINGS. It's listed on www.loa.org and the
>table of contents can be seen at

By now someone has probably mentioned this, but you've been 'deceived', Bill.

Take another look at that opening page, and the right-hand corner come-on
["This Month in Literary History"], and right under that the Publication Date....

> http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=174&section=toc

>Most of the stories look pretty familiar, but if there's new stuff it
>might be a chance to replace an old Vintage paperback or two with an
>expensive new hardcover. "The Thin Man: An Early Typescript," that must
>be new. Any of the Hammett experts got any opinions?

Not an "expert" (on anything!), but I've had both volumes for several years now, and both are "worth having" -- but not at that price. I got mine off the web -- somewhere -- for considerably less than that, and now that you know, I'll bet you can find a more reasonable-priced copy....

[I still have to read the "new" Nightmare Town collection from a year or so back, as I save my pennies for the recent "Letters" and "Memoir" volumes.... Too many, too soon....]

>The 11 February 2002 issue of THE NEW YORKER has a nine-page essay on
>Hammett, "Tough Guy," by Claudia Roth Pierpoint.

Is that online, by chance?

---
Bill Bowers  |  <BBowers@One.net> | mailto:BBowers@One.net
         ...who wants to thank those who responded to his TAD request!