Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy versus Cave. Split decision goes to Cave.

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 05 Feb 2002

Mark wrote
> Bringing it back on topic, didn't Warren Zevon and Ross Macdonald
> actually get to know each other

Don't know about that, but Zevon definitely co-wrote some songs with Carl Hiaasen a couple of years back.

Other HB musician/writers - Jesse Sublett, bass player with many Austin bands, has written a couple of thrillers - anyone read them?

Practically every contemp British HB writer seems to have some musical background - David Peace, Nicholas Blincoe, Mark Ramsden, myself even, we all have dodgy post-punk records lurking in our CVs (well apart from Ramsden who's a serious jazz hat)

BTW, someone mentioned Lou Reed and I seem to recal detecting a definite influence of Vachss on a couple of the songs from the New York album, anyone else notice that?

Okay, one final thought, if there were an award for the HB writer's favourite musician it must surely be held by the very great Lucinda Williams - in the last year or so she has been referenced in novels I've read by George P, Michael Connolly and Liza Cody.

John