RE: RARA-AVIS: Cold Six Thousand & the Kennedy assasination riff

From: Forstater, Mathew ( ForstaterM@umkc.edu)
Date: 02 Feb 2002

Recently read Black Dahlia for the first time and am now almost done Big Nowhere. Other than a short story or two, first Ellroy I've read. Felt like they were more like 'work' to read than the stuff I enjoy most, almost stopped a few times, but have to admit getting caught up in some of the stories at certain points, some good writing. Can understand some of the complaints--too many characters, name-dropping, can't relate to the characters. Keep wishing the Pelecanos I ordered from Amazon would show up already.

Some of the characters movements are comprehensively covered. They eat, they shower, etc. Made me wonder: all the driving they do all over LA, don't they ever have to fill their gas tanks?

Back jacket says Ellroy lives in KC. I'll have to look out for him in the supermarket.

Mat