RE: RARA-AVIS: lecter's changing image

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 02 Feb 2002

Yeah, Harris has done a good job making Hannibal Lecter palatable ... I doubt the movie was any more true to Harris' books though.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

"If I die, then I forgive you ... ... if I survive, we shall see."
-- Spanish Proverb
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/contest/
-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 5:32 PM
i saw harris's _red dragon_ movie adaptation "manhunter" a few days ago, and i was thinking about how lecter and his image changes thru the three books. although its been so long since i read _red dragon_ that i can't remember it, if the movie is at all faithful, lecter is an insane homicidal crazy in the first book, preying upon innocent college girls and trying to wreak revenge upon will graham from behind bars, with the help of the tooth fairy.
in the second book, _the silence of the lambs_, he's courteous to starling, and actually helps her catch the guy thats making a girl suit.
and in _hannibal_, he's turned into a true gentleman, saving starling, and only eating "the rude". and he's even handed a horrible childhood experience to make him less accountable for his eccentric eating habits.