RARA-AVIS: Re: The Vanishing

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 30 Jan 2002

In a message dated 1/30/02 2:08:00 AM, Eddie.Duggan@suffolk.ac.uk writes:

<< I haven't seen the US version. The Dutch film was shown on UK TV

sometime last year. It was very dark. Apparently, the Dutch film is

'the one to see', and it was, IMO, well worth watching; I can't comment

on whether the ending of the remake is 'lighter' or happier. >>

the story concerns a man obsessed with finding his fiancee, who disappeared from a gas station while he went into the mens room to drain the lizard. a couple years later, his obsession has left his life a shambles. eventually he places an ad in the personals, which is seen by the man responsible for the girl's disappearance. the sociopath contacts the hero and offers him the opportunity to discover EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED to his girlfriend.

the ending of the Dutch version is one of the most disturbing scenes in cinema.

the ending of the American version was absolutely ludicrous and completely invalidates the entire point of making the picture in the first place. shame on all involved, especially George Sluizer.

John Lau