RARA-AVIS: A question for Jose (or mebbe two)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 28 Jan 2002

Jose : A rather Tivoli question, I admit & one you may not be able to answer. It's a well-known fact that ex-president Bill Clinton is a crime fiction fan; reputedly his favourite author is, or was, Walter Mosley. It's also well known that Fidel Castro is a keen reader & also that he is a close personal friend of the great Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I was wondering if Fidel was known to be a reader of crime fiction & also which authors/books he likes, if that's the case.I'm also curious as to the status of crime fiction in Cuba - is it considered a respectable genre, worthy of prizes & government grants, etc or something disreputable & subversive, a more or less "underground" literature, or thirdly, a popular entertainment with no real literary/artistic merit; or a combination, etc. I apologise if this has been covered in previous posts. I don't recall that to be the case. Rene.