RARA-AVIS: Post article/Denise Mina

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2002

>By George P. Pelecanos
>Sunday, January 27, 2002; Page BW10
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35148-2002Jan24.html
>Ann (somewhat out of it this weekend)

Thanks Ann, and thanks George. This made me feel a little better about spending a gorgeous Sunday in the house trying (so far unsuccessfully) to finish what I am now calling "this goddamn story" (working title)

Not to go too offtopic, when I have been taking breaks to read, I'm reading
"Garnethill" by Denise Mina, blue collar heroes and abuse survivors in a seedy part of Glasgow. Not a detective story, but I do think it's a strong response to the argument I've heard that the hard-boiled culture of violence or whatever is somehow "inherently" male. While I would not say that a man couldn't have written a book like this, it has an unmistakably female voice
(no "poaching" or imitating of male-created tropes) that is also genuinely hard boiled. Though I'm not even halfway through the book, I'd say it's well worth checking out.

Also got "The Postman Always Rings Twice" from the library and FINALLY got
"Right as Rain" from the library and "Shoedog" from Amazon.co.uk (3 cheers for the Brits). God knows when I'll have time to read all this, but it's nice to have a healthy TBR stack.

Carrie