RARA-AVIS: Historical crime writers

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2002

It's just George again, trying to take shortcuts in his research.

I've just received a call for papers on historical crime fiction, but I'm not familiar with any of the names listed. Would anyone consider any of the following hard-boiled?

Mary Jo Adamson; Simon Beauford; Lauren Belfer; Ann Benson; Emily Brightwell; Molly Brown; Fiona Buckley; Karen Rose Cerrone; P.F. Chisholm; Alys Clare; Dianna Day; Dale Futurani; Karen Hooper; Michael Jecks; Sharon Kay; Kate Kingsbury; Stephen Lewis; Alys Kingsbury; Stephen Lewlis; Gillian Linscatt; A.E. Marston; Ann McMillan; Margaret Monfredo; Fidelis Morgan; Robin Paige; Owen Parry; Iain Pears; Sharon Kay Penman; Linda S. Robinson; Caroline Roe; Candice Roff; Laura Jak Rowland; Randall Salvis; Kate Sealey; Troy Soos; Rosemary Stevens; Victoria Thompson; Leoney Tourney; Peter Tremayne

I hate to admit it, but I honestly don't think I recognize a single name on that list.

In the alternative, does anyone have a favorite hard-boiled historical detective writer? The only novel I can think of off the top of my head is the Eliot Ness book Max A. Collins wrote, which I think is called TRUE DETECTIVE and which sits in my TBR pile. I know there are a number of others, but I can't think of them and don't have access to my normal research tools until the semester starts up again next week. Aren't some of the Pelecanos D.C. novels historical?

If anyone is interested in the original call for papers, let me know, and I'll be glad to forward the entire email to you. It's for a book of essays being edited by Ray Browne.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/