Re: RARA-AVIS: when the sacred gin mill closes

From: Kim Colley ( atalantaix@earthlink.net)
Date: 09 Dec 2001

Hi, Mike.

This year I've read one of the early, pre-AA Scudders, _A Stab in the Dark_, and one of the latest, _Everybody Dies_. I found the latter to be uninspiring. _A Stab in the Dark_, although shorter in length, was much meatier, and I enjoyed watching Scudder dance with the acknowledgment of his alcoholism before retreating back into the shadows with a bottle.

Have you read his Frank Keller short stories, anthologized in _Hit Man_ and this year's _Hit List_? I finished the first one last month, and immediately put the latter on reserve at the library. With the character of Frank Keller, Block has taken the erstwhile moral ambivalence of Scudder and magnified it to the 40th degree.

Respectfully,

--
Kim C.
"Don't start tryin' to do the right thing, boy-o. You haven't the practice."