RARA-AVIS: good courtroom novels/HB?

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 Nov 2001

I'm throwing this one out for Jerry, since he's a lawyer and has written courtroom novels, but anyone else is welcome to jump in. Who writes good courtroom/legal books, either in the strictly "courtroom drama" sense or in the context of a larger investigation? (and yeah, I already know about that Terry Devane guy -) I very rarely will read these because so many of them are just laughable; I am a law school grad though with very little (OK, none) experience in a real court. I'm not one of those people who is going to have a conniption every time they confuse pendant and ancillary jurisdiction, but I do look for at least a "Law & Order" level of plausibility (as opposed to Ally McBeal. . .) And of course good storytelling and characterization is more important than getting the technicalities right. So, who does these well? Are any of them really HB or does even acknowledging the possibility of justice being done in a court violate the principles of the genre? Thoughts?

Carrie