RARA-AVIS: Max Martinez

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 28 Nov 2001

The Texas author Max Martinez, who was in his mid 50s, died on November 25. Earlier this month I suggested Max as an author for the January theme of Latino noir and hard-boiled. Two of Max's novels should be of interest to the members of this list: White Leg and Layover. White Leg, Texas, is a small, dusty town where Gil Blue tries to survive as a criminal. The book takes off when one of Blue's robberies goes wrong, his wife sets him up for a kidnapping fall, and the local boss wants his head. Layover also takes place in rural Texas. This story focuses on Priscilla Arrabal, shady lady way in over her head in murder and duplicity. A recurring character in both books is Joe Blue, deputy sheriff with that deceiving laid-back sensibility some of us like in our lawmen. Max Martinez was a pal. RIP, Max.

Manuel Ramos