RARA-AVIS: URL: Interview with Constantine

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Nov 2001

Crimetime has an interesting interview with K.C. Constantine:

http://www.crimetime.co.uk/features/kcconstantine.html

There are plenty of opinions, as expected. Here's one that relates to a recent discussion here (writing programs, etc.):

"The same person who asked if reading was important asked me if writers need to be of this world or remote from it. I believe writers absolutely, definitely, positively need to be of the world. If you doubt that, just try reading the stuff that comes out of all those graduate writing programs. Yes yes, I too attended one of those programs. But when I went there were only three. Now, for Christ's sake, there are more than 250. Fortunately, I ran out of money and had to get a job to take care of my wife and brand new son. But until 1993 when I was fired from my last job, I always had a day job, and sometimes two. (And I've never applied for a grant either, from anybody.) What I'm trying to say is, what the fuck do you write about if you don't move around in the commercial and political world? How long can you keep writing about having your first sex or observing your first death or how your Uncle Buck's drinking spoiled your family holidays? Or God help us all, how many stories can you write about the politics in the English Department?"

Regards,

MrT

=====
"Don't just do something, sit there!" Thich Nhat Hanh