Re: RARA-AVIS: Susan Silverman

From: Gerald So ( gso@optonline.net)
Date: 27 Nov 2001

Mark,

Parker may be keeping Susan around to appeal to women, but a lot of female readers find Susan insufferable. They may be more attracted to Spenser as the stalwart, faithful man.

The days of Susan being a strong character went out with Parker's decision to keep Spenser and friends ageless, stalling the series forward movement. Now she has the same ethical debates with Spenser and remains impossibly beatiful.

Still, I admire Parker for not killing off Susan. I think he keeps her around to spite the many fans and foes who wish her dead. He's determined to write the series with her. Of course, this doesn't change the fact he hasn't done much with her in some time.

Gerald