Re: RARA-AVIS: RE:Book lengths and the unexamined life

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 21 Nov 2001

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Dick Lochte wrote:

> Someone recently made the comment that publishers want longer books.
> This may have been true in the past, but not now. The current wisdom is
> that the crime novel masquerading as potential bestseller should be less
> than 100,000 words. The crime novel not masquerading as p.b. should be
> about 70,000 words.

I've noted that the blockbuster movies (if they can be called that) have begun to get smaller, thinner and shortes. "Terminator 2" lasts about two and a half hours, but "Charlie's Angels" lasts only one and a half hours. I agree with what you say, but I think there could be a trend.

(Well, Harry Potter with all its two hours and fifteen minutes might prove me wrong.)

Juri