RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #960 - this and that

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 16 Nov 2001

As I think I said to Kerry at about 1.30 am in the bar at Bouchercon, when I was in Washington last May I spent a lot of time on the subway and at the Smithsonian, and I was struck everywhere by what seemed like a curious (to the Londoner's eye) lack of racial mixing in the city, geographically, and in the school parties which I saw. I raised this
(gingerly) with my (black) shuttle driver on the way out to the airport, and we had a long talk about voluntary self-segregation in the city.
(My memory of the hotel staff is that they were less Afro-American than Asian? Are Asians cheaper, or somehow more "genteel" or something???) Maybe Boston is the same? No analyses - it's just that I was struck again with the realisation that the US is a big, foreign country.

Delving into my Bouchercon freebies, I read and quite liked Jack Kelly's LINE OF SIGHT - noir flawed-cop Double-Indemnityish morality tale.
(Complete with femme fatale.)

IS there any RAvian in the UK besides me? If there is - you might want to note that GHOST DOG is on Film Four at 10 pm today.

Marianne