Re: RARA-AVIS: Spenssssser...

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

Kevin Burton Smith

> And there's the fact that Parker is from Boston, and race is a
> different game there, I think. one of the recurring memories I have of
Boston is the
> surprising number of inter-racial couples I saw in the
> Cambridge/Boston axis -- on subways, street corners, malls, bars,
> etc. It was cool, and nobody seemed to blink an eye (though this
> wasn't South Boston or somewhere like that).

Kevin, That's one of the points I tried to make about Boston being a city of contrasts. I doubt you would see something like that being routine in an ethnic area like South Boston. The the area you ere in is very liberal. Many of the people you saw were probably in some way connected to Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Northeastern or several other schools. Think George V Higgins' or Lehane's Boston versus Parker's. Mark
.