RARA-AVIS: Sociopath sidekicks

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 13 Nov 2001

I didn't realize how common the sociopath sidekick had become over the years.
 It's like the cop boyfriend in so many of the woman amateur detective series.

Kevin's mention of Hump Evans from Ralph Dennis' 1970s Hardman novels reminded me of how much I enjoyed that series. Although packaged as a numbered action hero paperback series, Jim Hardman was a 45-year-old ex-cop making a bare living in Atlanta as a private eye. His occasional sidekick was Hump Evans, a retired NFL defensive end. As Hardman was a name not a description of the hero, Hump was very useful when muscle was needed. That was a fun series.

Richard Moore