RARA-AVIS: invented cities

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2001

With all the discussion about writers who reflect a particular city/ region, I'm curious about writers who have actually invented cities or neighborhoods. I think McBain is one who we've discussed as setting his stories in a fictional city. Dennis Lehane writes about Boston, but in
"Mystic River" he has constructed the fictional neighborhood of Buckingham, with its own very particular geography ("the point" and "the flats") and history.

I'm curious about other writers who have done this, either invented their own city or constructed a fictional area within a real city.

Carrie