Re: RARA-AVIS: "Red Harvest" and characterization

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Nov 2001

George wrote:

"No dictionary knows the word bifurcation, Juri--don't blame yours. It's the imaginary noun form of the verb bifurcate, which means "fork" or
"split into to parts." There is no actual noun form of the verb, but, as I'm sure you know, native English speakers tend to create new words when the mood strikes."

While I would have just used the word "split" (except, maybe, in an academic article) bifurcation is a real word. From my beat up old
"Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary" (1976):

"n 1 the act of bifurcating : the state of being bifurcated 2 a: the point at which bifurcating occurs b: BRANCH"

Mark