RARA-AVIS: elmore leonard

From: Chris Bahn ( chrisbahn@earthlink.net)
Date: 16 Oct 2001

> Leonard's GET SHORTY. I've never read Leonard; is
> this a good place to start?

While I haven't read a great deal of Leonard either, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one. It's good enough, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it and finally saw the movie just to see how it ended. The movie was better. There was talk on this list recently about how his recent novels seem like they're written with too much of an eye toward turning them into screenplays, and I have to agree and say it's usually to the detriment of the book but the benefit of the movie.

For starters, I'd go with either Rum Punch or Out of Sight; they were both made into movies also, but they stand up well as books. The Hunted is good too, as is Cuba Libre. In fact, I think that's my favorite Leonard novel, although it's not his usual setting so i wouldn't recommend starting there.