Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: early woman h-b writers

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 26 Sep 2001

Kevin Burton Smith" < kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com>

> >George, Leigh Brackett wrote a whole lot of sci-fi along with her little
> >bit of great hardboiled. I haven't read any of her sci-fi, so I can't
> >tell you which book you've read.
>
> A lot of her sci-fi stuff is supposedly very space opera-ish, sorta
> like STAR WARS. Which probably helped her land the gig co-writing THE
> EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, which is still the best of the STAR WARS flicks.
> --

Kevin, She was married to Edmond Hamilton, a writer of pulp sf in the 30's and 40's. I don't know of a book published under both their names, but she must have been at least influenced by him. I've read a lot of her sf. It's not really space opera concerned with great forces, but more adventure stories set in exotic locations with very little little technology mentioned. One one hero battles the baddies individually. A lot could be westerns except for the fact they are set on Venus(a warm very wet world), Mars or another planet not in the solar system. Wasn't she one of the writers of Rio Bravo? Mark