Re: RARA-AVIS: Flashfire by Richard Stark

From: Paul Sowle ( ambrosehunter@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Sep 2001

I'd say Deadly Edge is the worst in the series. It has some great moments, but the stuff with Claire and the goons in the house is quite annoying.

I certainly agree that one should start with The Hunter. However, it's not too late to do so now. Flashfire mentions previous events less than most Parker novels, so you haven't spoiled much of anything yet.

I myself just finished an ARC of Firebreak. In terms of the "2nd generation" of Parker novels, I'd place it behind Backflash, but ahead of Comeback & Flashfire. While I don't think Flashfire is bad, it ain't great. If you don't have any intention of reading all the books, try Backflash. It doesn't give away too much of the past and it just might change your mind.

Other Parker greats: Butcher's Moon(Don't dare start with this one), Plunder Squad, The Seventh(AKA The Split), The Man With The Getaway Face, The Outfit, The Score, The Handle, The Green Eagle Score, The Rare Coin Score...Hell, they're all great. I recommend that anyone interested in the series read The Hunter, then see if you can stop. I couldn't.