RARA-AVIS: RE: Hardboiled Sherlock and Lankford's Store

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@home.com)
Date: 07 Sep 2001

I'm a bit surprised, and maybe amused, by the deadly serious replies to my comment about Sherlock shooting up (and the Hammer's fondness for symphonic music). I probably should have used smiley faces, though I hate 'em and the one thing I'm sure of, hardboiled-wise, is that they aren't. So let me clarify my feelings on the matter. In a ranking of serious controversies, I'd put Sherlock: Hardboiled or Not? somewhere just south of: Who's the better movie President, Martin Sheen in West Wing or Harrison Ford in Air Force One? (a question humorously posed in the new Ed McBain). I'd assumed, incorrectly it seems, that the original comment was made in a playful mood, much the same as Rex Stout's tongue in cheek presentation to the Baker Street Irregulars that "proved" Watson was a woman.

Somebody asked about Lankford's book store. It's Mysteries, Movies and Mayhem, 14925 Magnolia in Sherman Oaks. I think it's a little more hardboiled than The Mystery Bookstore, but the point is arguable, I guess.

Dick Lochte