RE: RARA-AVIS: Theme of the month - Los Angeles

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 06 Sep 2001

I realize there are those who don't agree, but I see Holmes as being hardboiled. Holmes is what a Victorian England hardboiled would be ... to each character their culture, their time, and their place ... he's way to violent and in the wrong setting to be cozy. And while there may be an argument for soft-boiled due to his lack of sexual conquest, I'd be willing to give 'im that once considering the culture and person he was representing. There was plenty of illicit sex in Victorian England, but Holmes represents the ideal not the reality.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Judas is looking for a few Femme Fatales for its next issue:
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
-----Original Message----- From: Scatalogic@aol.com Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 7:31 AM
Holmes' London was described as: "That great cesspit into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistably drained," and it strikes me that maybe that could apply to Los Angeles.