Re: RARA-AVIS: Marlowe as racist

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 06 Sep 2001

In a message dated 9/5/01 8:44:04 PM, anthony.dauer@verizon.net writes:

<< I hear Chandler saying it loud and clear in Marlowe's dialogue >>

    Looking for a clear statement regarding racial bigotry by reading Chandler is as futile a task as looking for a clear stance on sexual practices by reading the Bible. Everybody has favorite passages of text and favorite ways of interpreting those passages. My own take is that Chandler was a man of his times, more enlightened than some by his unflagging support of those who are used and held down by the rich and powerful, but perhaps less enlightened than he would have been had he lived at another time.
                                        Jim Blue