Re: RARA-AVIS: Theme of the month - Los Angeles

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 06 Sep 2001

In a message dated 06/09/01 10:47:05 GMT Daylight Time, jurnum@utu.fi writes:

<< And if California, and LA in particular, is the preferred setting for
> noir (along with NY), why? Is it simply because the movie industry drew
> so many writers? (If so, were they writing about LA or their native
> cities before they moved out there?) Or is there something about
> California that made/makes it a good setting?

Holmes' London was described as: "That great cesspit into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistably drained," and it strikes me that maybe that could apply to Los Angeles. Two of my favourites, Ellroy and Bunker were native Angelenos, and their consistency seems to project a sense of place to me, a place I have never visited. Los Angeles seems to function well as a sort of 'everycity'; so much variety in population, architecture etc. I can only echo those who have praised City of Quartz, it's flipping ace! Some LA entrepeneur should work on a 'noir tour' of the megalopolis, I'd go and if anyone wants to put up a hard up Gloucestershire lad then please just mail the fare and I'm there. All the best Cheerio Colin