Re: RARA-AVIS: Crime Scene Photography

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Sep 2001

Mark wrote:

"Seeing the actual glistening b-and-w prints reinforced the impression that certain of these newspaper photographers were true artists in the matters of camera angles, light exposures, dramatic composition, and so on."

This is the same feeling I had about Weegee when I saw his career retrospective, Weegee's World, at the International Center of Photography years ago. I had always seen them reprinted on crappy paper. The stock in the DaCapo reprinting of Naked City is little better than newsprint. Still the photos were very impressive. However, they were nothing compared to what they looked like larger and glossy on a wall.

It is immediately evident why he so impressed art photographers like Lisette Model, Robert Frank and Diane Arbus, to name a few. It also made clear that he belongs in their company. His photos were art without ever putting on airs, just like the best hardboiled.

Mark