Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #857

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Aug 2001

<Every writer who is more than merely commercial, whether he or she stays home like Faulkner or wanders like Graham Greene, is a kind of displaced person.>>

Betsy, I think you hit it right. What complicates matters is that such a writer has to be *both* "of it" and "outside it". A good recipe for alienation, if not schizophrenia.

There's this picture of Faulkner by his barn in Oxford; the writer is wearing clothes not fit for a tramp, he is self-absorbed, he is serious, he oozes otherness (I don't remember who photographed him, but he or she was an artist).

Regards,

MrT

=====