Re: RARA-AVIS: Marlowe

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 29 Aug 2001

Carrie,

While I'm not sure I agree that the man walking down the mean streets who is not himself mean is as outmoded a figure as you do (although I can't immediately think of any current examples), I do think you are dead on about prudishness being a major factor in Marowe's views about women (although they get a little bit better over the series).

I'd say it is also a motivating factor in his opinion about homosexuals. He is uncomfortable with women who define themselves by their sexuality, wouldn't he be equally offended by men who do the same? The classification alone means the group is defined by their sexual preferences. Add that the main stereotype of gay men, even now, but especially then, is that they act feminine and the problem for Marlowe becomes that they are nothing more than tarts in male drag.

Mark