Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Defending Archer

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2001

<<(Ironically, I am one of the few on this list who will defend Robert Parker.I DON'T think he's a particularly good writer; I think his characters are stereotypes (and bad ones at that), his situations bogus.>>

I think Parker *does* have a great technique, but the material (read: ideas) has become so thin that no amount of writerly trickery will save his stories. Perhaps he has become lazy, or the ideas just dried up, I don't know. I haven't had him on my reading list for a long time (since Paper Doll, to be specific). If you took Paper Doll and trimmed all the padding, you could end up with a fine short story. That's about it. Besides, the padding is obvious.

Regards,

MrT

=====