Re: RARA-AVIS: Deep End/Blank Wall

From: Cristoforo ( Cristoforo@mediaone.net)
Date: 26 Aug 2001

> I just saw Deep End, the new movie by the pair who made Suture. It's a
> nice noir with some unusual aspects. Instead of a man trying to save
> either himself or a woman (deserving or not), this noir has a mother
> straining to protect her family. It's a nice switch and plays out well.
> Tilda Swinton is great in the lead role.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention "the deep end" especially after all this talk about "Memento". I think I'd describe it as noir in broad daylight. It's crisp, taut and well worth seeing even if the story jumps the tracks in the final reel. It's based on a story by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding who supposedly (or is this hyperbole) was a favorite of Chandler and Hitchcock both. Anyone read her?

P.S. Haven't been following the male/female gender bigotry conversation, but I thought it interesting that the female lead in "the deep end" is surrounded by nothing but weak men. The husband is absent, the grandfather is blisfully unawares of everything around him, and she has to clean up the mess of her son. Even the blackmailer is (initially) under the thumb of his partner.

Brad