Re: RARA-AVIS: Evan Hunter collected stories

From: R & J Clinton ( r-and-jclinton@msn.com)
Date: 25 Aug 2001

From: "Mario Taboada"
> The other day, while browsing the new arrivals section at
> my local library, I saw two volumes of Evan Hunter's
> collected short stories, published in hardcover by Five
> Star.

I have these two, along with a number of other Five-Star mystery collections. Five-Star is doing a true service in putting out these collections and few have disappointed (although a Joe Gores collection comes instantly to mind). Several other short-story collections that, along with the Hunter/McBain volumes, were outstanding are collections by William Nolan, Ed Gorman, Clark Howard and Donald Westlake.

Though there are a great number of Five-Star collections (and novels, most notably hc reprints of the Tucker Coe novels by Westlake) available, many of them seem to tread quite liberally on the cozy side on the genre fence. But several, like the ones noted above as well as others, are a treat for hardboiled enthusiasts who like their suspense Dark.

By the way, a third Hunter/McBain collection is due out soon from this publisher, entitled FIFTY FROM THE FIFTIES.

Ron Clinton