Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: What is a private eye?

From: Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 23 Aug 2001

Dick Lochte wrote:

> The thing to bear in mind in trying to arrive at some workable
> definition -- private eye, noir, hardboiled, etc. -- is that, as
> entertaining as these discussions may be, in our heart of hearts we
> really don't want these kinds of categories. The books or movies or TV
> shows that most of us prize are usually the ones that don't slavishly
> conform to any established category. Or am I wrong?

No, I think you're dead on. Categories are for after the fact, when we reflect on something good, and try to explain why to others we think might enjoy it.

Personally I don't care what kind of dick a gal is, but I know it's important to others.

Kerry

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com

Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com

<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>