RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #837

From: MysteryMarkBest@aol.com
Date: 22 Aug 2001

In a message dated 08/22/2001 4:07:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca writes:

<< I've recently argued here that professionalism is a key to the genre, as well (professionalism as versus amateurism, I mean), and a license is part of that. >>

Then how does one account for Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder. He has only recently obtained a PI ticket, yet the PWA and others have for years recognized the Scudder books as one of the best PI series ever.

Another genre classic, Travis McGee, was also an unlicenced investigator (or, as he billed himself, salvage consultant).

There are other examples, both mainstream and subgenre (Vachss' Burke), but you get my point. I agree that professionalism is a key to these characters, but I think enough authors have gotten around the licensing issue that it isn't as important anymore.

Mark