Re: RARA-AVIS: Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown...

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 20 Aug 2001

In a message dated 8/20/01 12:50:07 PM, jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com writes:

<< John Lau's original post dealt with the *lack* of PI films made in the last 30 years, not the quality. >>

While it's true that some PI films have been made in the past 3 decades, some excellent ones too I might add, my point is that indeed it isn't really considered a commercial genre in feature films. That's why they get turned into buddy/action/comedies or some other hybrid to give it marketability. A big reason for this is the fact that the PI has been done to death in television. Another one is that they don't necessarily appeal to the youth market, which is the life's blood of the film business. Sad, but true.

John Lau