RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #833 - PIs

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 20 Aug 2001

>>1.
>>>But when I read about women PIs, cops, what have you, in
>>>fiction, something about it doesn't ring true and I tune out.
>>

>Odd, but all the people I know who actually earn a living as PIs are women.
>I know there are men in the field, probably many more men than women, but I
>haven't met them.

If we're going to talk about real life, perhaps you'd be interested in Val McDermid's book, A SUITABLE JOB FOR A WOMAN, which is a non-fiction study of women PIs on both sides of the Atlantic with lots of inerviews and anecdotes. There was a woman Detective Inspector in the Thames Valley Police who was talking at the St Hilda's mystery conference last weekend, whose remarks about her experience of police work so echoed the experiences of women PIs that I was moved to advise her to buy a copy.
<g> But - and I emphasize this - it has nothing to do with hb fiction, except as a kind of eye-opener.

Incidentally, for anybody in the UK - Altman's film is being shown tonight at 3.45 am (argh) on Film Four (yes I know that's a premium channel, but anybody who can get it, and doesn't have it, is probably not very interested in films anyway. It's where I saw the wonderful Mulholland Falls, and it has good crime movies on regularly. Sometimes for hour after hour.)

Marianne